“We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” – Jawaharial Nehru

“Tourists don’t know where they’ve been, travelers don’t know where they’re going.” – Paul Theroux

“Not all those who wander are lost.” – J.R.R. Tolkien

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Our City: Dongtan



Dongtan new city, Hwaseong-si, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea!



Cruisin on my bike on the way to school, just another day in the life! :)



Another picture of the view on the way to school, this is just a little bit away from our apartments. There are always elderly men and women working so hard in these fields! It is common to see much older women here walking around completely bent over like an 'L' shape. Their backs get really messed up from squatting down and bending over the rice fields all day, cultivating the entire field by hand. No longer can I complain about my job!!



Here is the corner right before school. Theres the Korean Kindergarten building on the left, the colorful one. And if you look closely there's a vertical blue sign on a building on the right that says LCI Academy, right across the street from the Korean Kindergarten.




This is the school I work at in the morning, all decorated for Open Class! Our main building (LCI Academy) is right across the street from this school, where our main rooms are. I just come here in the morning to the Korean Kindergarten and teach several 25-minute English classes. Open Class was 2 of my Saturdays spent working, unpaid! We had to put on a mock English class for all the parents to watch, kind of like open house back home but way more intense. We prepared for Open Class for weeks before, making up a whole bunch of props, games, dances, songs, etc. It was extremely important to my director and boss that we impress the pants off these parents!




We finally got bicycles! I can now leave my apartment 20 minutes later in the morning... sweet.



With some of the girls for Rhonda's going away lunch. Rhonda is the one on the far left, she has already been here for a year and she leaves next week!



Katie, Amy, Sarah and I having some wine with our lunch.... how classy do we look! Haha just kidding, but mom and dad I did actually like this wine I have no idea what it was though.

1 comment:

  1. I'm about to move to this city, can you tell me the pros and cons of living here? Is it expensive? How is the crime rate? Do you feel safe walking the streets?

    ReplyDelete