“We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” – Jawaharial Nehru

“Tourists don’t know where they’ve been, travelers don’t know where they’re going.” – Paul Theroux

“Not all those who wander are lost.” – J.R.R. Tolkien

Friday, April 2, 2010



Chris and Tom, best buds!!




Haha this picture is too funny, Im laughing right now just remembering this moment. Ok so we were doing a science project with stamps, and Gavin used his stamps to write the word "hat" on his piece of paper. Everyone else made pictures and so I asked him, "Gavin why did you write hat?". And Gavin just goes "Teacher, tape" and he proceeds to go get two pieces of tape and tape his paper to his eyes so that it became a hat. If you look closely you can see the tape on his eyelids. These kids are creative!!



About half of my afternoon elementary class. These kids are 8 and the oldest/smartest kids I teach throughout the day. Its easier to teach them because they can actually understand some directions in English instead of me having to do charades to explain!



Lily and James actually working! This is a rare, quiet moment when the class was actually working on their practice worksheets!




This is Lily, tell me she isnt one of the most adorable little girls youve ever seen?! She is so sweet I just love her. She is so well-behaved and smart in a class full of crazies!



Haha! I caught Mike on the chairs!!



We're learning colors in this class so this picture is of the kids running around the room trying to find me something 'red'! I will yell out "ok find me something RED!" and they all go crazy looking for things, then I yell "FREEZE!" and they all stop and I yell out a new color. I try to tire them out sometimes because this class is just crazy, they are always messing with each other and cant sit still. And at some point in the class I have to have them do real work, like writing worksheet practice or something, so I try to play games with them first.



Jason, such a character! He has short hair and then this one long piece that hangs down the side and it is a different color each week. This was after I said "Find me something BLUE!" haha



Kathy, one of my favorite students!! She always hugs me when I come into the classroom. This was right after I said "find me something YELLOW!"



Angela, Julia, and John.. a few of the kids in one of my afternoon classes. Can you tell John is the class clown? He will never just smile for me, he's always making a funny face!!



Trying to play hangman with the kids! Only they dont like the idea of a "hanging man" here, so we usually play with different things. Not sure what Paul is drawing here, maybe a bunch of circles?? The kids recognize a lot of the same games that we play back home, just always with some sort of Korean twist!



All sorts of sea creatures in a tank outside a restaurant. Really appetizing huh?! Makes me want to walk right in and try to octopus!! haha



Some girl dressed as a tiger and selling green balloons on a stick for St Patricks Day. She was so random we had to get a picture with her! I swear, everyday I see just some of the funniest and random things walking the streets.



Haha this is a picture of the horse-drawn carraiges lining the street after the St Patricks Day parade! How tacky are they?? Haha I went and talked to the driver and thought he told me that each carraige ride was 3,000 won (only about $2.75) and so I went back inside and rallied like 10 people to come take horse drawn carraige rides around the block. Turned out they were actually 30,000 won (about $25) so everyone bailed and I never got to ride in the carraige!




Korean folk band that played inside the bar on St Patricks Band. They were really good and played a lot of really traditional Irish songs. Everyone inside was doing an Irish jig! I have a video of the dancing but I cant get it to upload on this site.



Some of the crew for St Patricks Day. I think all the foreigners in Korea assembled in the same area of Seoul that day, it was like I wasnt even in Korea there were hardly any asians around that day! This picture was right after we arrived and everyone else had just gotten back from the parade.



Katie, Chris, and Chase on St Patricks Day. People went all out with the decorations...including face paint as you can see!! :)



This is only about half of the WSU crew in Korea! These are our friends, Katelan Chase and Chris, that live in Pyeongtaek, only a few subway stops away from Dongtan. We get to see them quite often so it is always fun to get together.



They love kareoke in Korea! There are places called nori bombs here and its basically like kareoke except you and your friends can just get your own room and sing kareoke all night... pretty funny!



A little March snow!! Pretty beautiful but not so fun to walk through 40 mins to school. And I don't think Koreans know about snow days, haha there were a couple times when I would wake up and expect school to be cancelled! No such luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment